Saturday, February 8, 2014

Morning Sickness and Hyperemisis...Now You Know You Are A Mom.

Hey ya'll!! After my first blog I have recieved lots and lots of positive feedback, which I am thrilled about!!  After talking to a few of my girlfriends who are currently in the early stages of their pregnancies I wanted to post about how you can help with the dreaded "morning sickness." Normally, the sickness will subside within the first 3 to 5 months of pregnancy but those 3 to 5 months can feel like the longest of your life! I know, I have been there and for me those 3 to 5 months lasted 9 months.  I have a few tips that really helped me along the way and I hope will help you mommas! 
                One thing I did was keep a package of saltines by my bedside.  In the morning before I even lifted my head from the pillow I would eat a cracker or two so I could get myself up from the pillow.  Waking was a slow process everyday but this helped me to just get on my feet. For every mom it is different how and when you get sick, or even if you get sick, some moms just have impending nausea for the duration.  The best thing to do for the nauseaand sickness is to eat starchy foods, such as popcorn, baked potatoes and crackers.  You do want to make sure you get some protein in as well because when you are constantly getting sick the baby is taking everything and anything from you and you want to make sure you have some left in there for you.  I found eating shrimp and peanut butter worked for me, not together, of course.  
                The next thing that made my life a little easier while dealing with all of this was to have good smells around me.  There is nothing like a pregnant nose and you will sniff out anything so you want to make sure you have fresh scents.  Lemons, rosemary, and ginger were things I always had near me in the event I was around someone who had an overpowering perfume or any smell that threw me off.  Not only was the lemon and ginger great for scent but also taste! I would boil water with cut up lemons and ginger root slices in it making a delicious tea without any caffine and it was delicious with some honey added and helped me get through a few hours in the day.  Drinking something like this will also help with keeping you hydrated which is one of the most important things you want to do when dealing with sickness in your pregnancy.  
                 During pregnancy most mommas experience an extreme hunger.  When dealing with sickness the last thing you want to do is sit down and eat a huge meal because you will end up with twice as much coming out..I promise.  I found eating a very small amount every hour was the best was to get in some nutrients.  Maybe you like peanut butter crackers, so have 2 or 3 every hour, or you like kettle corn so have a hand full every hour.  Doing this will allow you to get something in your system and will help stay ahead of the nausea.  
                  Another thing I found helpful though difficult was having a workout plan and sticking to it, no matter how hard it was to get up and get moving.  I have specific exercises coming so stay tuned!! I hope this was somewhat helpful for the moms-to-be out there struggling with morning sickness or hyperemisis.  If you have any questions, comments or concerns please contact me at helpingmommytone@gmail.com

Thanks!!

MAD Blog Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment