- Go to prenatal visits together. I wish my husband could have come to my prenatal visits and ultrasounds. He was working so much and I didn’t realize how important it was to share the experience. I always told him not to worry about it but looking back I wish we could’ve shared the experience.
- Plan for the baby together. Go with your partner to baby shop and start up your registry together. My husband and I would go just window shop all the time to look at everything and get ideas for the nursery or just to bond and share the excitement.
- Let him put together the baby items. After my husband and I moved into our new place, I wanted to surprise him by getting everything done one day while he was at work. I put together all the baby items, excluding the crib, and had the house set up by the time he got home. I thought I was doing something nice for him so he wouldn’t have to worry about it, and though I was and he was super appreciative, looking back I realize how important it is for the daddy to have their nesting by putting together all the baby items. Make it fun! Baby gear is tricky, take out the video camera and have fun doing it together.
- Workout together during pregnancy. Come up with a routine for the two of you to help you both stay healthy, happy and give you some time together.
- Set aside some time for the bump. When you are both done with your days and relaxing, play some music for the baby and interact with him or her. Sing, talk, touch. The baby hears you and knows you are there. Just because the baby is not out of the womb yet doesn’t mean he or she isn’t aware of what is going on. Babies are awfully smart and start to know Mommy and Daddy while cooking in the oven. We used to play games with the baby. We would play music for him and wait for him to start kicking, once he was kicking we would tickle his feet and he would kick back, without fail.
- Plan the nursery together. Prepare all the little details of the nursery together. Pick out colors, decals, lamp shades, every detail.