Friday, March 7, 2014

For The Birthday!


Leading up to the big day when you get to meet your little one there is so much to do.  One of the biggest things I never felt confident about was what to pack in my hospital bag.  I felt like I was forgetting something even when I was overpacked.  It turned out I didn’t end up needing my hospital bag because I was induced on the spot.  I want to give you some tips and necessities for the birthday.

  • Get your car seat installed!
    My husband and I thought we had tons of time to get the car seat installed because our son was not actually due until 3 weeks after we had him.  Because we were not expecting to have him the day we did the car seat was not installed.  My husband had to go get the car seat and get it installed at the hospital.  Unfortunately, between the time he brought the car seat, came up to make sure I was okay and went back down to install it...someone had broken his back window with a bat and stole the car seat.  This completely put a damper on the big day of bringing home our baby.  Get it installed, it is never too early.
  • Keep the tank full.
    Also something my husband and I forgot to do.  Luckily for us the hospital was only 6 minutes away, but for those who have a ways to go make sure you keep your gas tank full because you never know when you will be taking that midnight trip to the hospital.
  • Pack the bag.
    Get your hospital bag and diaper bags packed so it is one less thing to worry about.  There are some essentials for the hospital but a lot of things you don’t actually need.  I, being a first time mom, packed everything short of the crib.  As I said, I didn’t even end up having a hospital bag because everything happened so fast.  I really didn’t need anything because the most important things were supplied at the hospital.  To keep you comfortable there are a few things that are good to have.  Most women, like myself, overly pack so here is a checklist of the things most important to bring.
  • Picture ID (license or passport)
  •  Insurance information
  •  Birth plan if you and your doctor or midwife have one
  •  Glasses if you wear contacts normally
  •  Phone chargers
  •  Cash -- if your hospital charges for parking or your partner gets hungry and needs a snack
  •  Gowns for labor if you aren’t comfortable with the hospital gowns, especially if you are walking the halls in early labor, you don’t want to be mooning the whole hospital.  Check out Pretty Pushers Gowns they have adorable and affordable gowns to be comfortable and stylish while in delivery.
  •  Sweats for after delivery if you have a natural birth
  •  Cotton underwear if you don’t like the underwear the hospital provides and sports bras or nursing bras, whatever is most comfortable for you
  •  If you don’t have an Iphone or Ipod that can take pictures and want to bring a camera
  • An Ipod or some device that can play music to help relax you
  •  Toiletries -- toothbrush, toothpaste, ect.                                                                                                                           Anything else you think you may need the hospital will provide.  As far as what you may need for the baby, the hospital will give you everything you need, and what you don’t have your partner can bring you.
  • Stock the car.
    Keep the hospital bag in the car at the ready because you never know.  Also, put some of the value pack peanut crackers or lunch bag size chips in the car for your partner to have because you don’t know how long the process will be.  Some women vomit during labor, so keep a bucket or barf bag handy just in case it’s a bumpy ride.

Bring anything you feel you may need or that makes you comfortable but here are just some essentials to bring to the hospital and some tips to help you leading up to the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment